- May 24, 2016
Memorial Day weekend is the kick off to summer travel. Don’t learn the hard way that your vehicle isn’t ready!
Check out these top five tips to get your car ready for travel during Memorial Day Weekend:
1. Check your tires. A blown tire at a high rate of speed leads to hundreds of fatal accidents every year according to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration. Look for foreign objects, uneven wear patterns in the tread, bald spots, any cracks or exposed metal and check your tire pressure monthly. Burlington Automotive can direct you to a tire specialist if you think you need new tires or repairs.
2. Check your radiator fluid level. This coolant plays a crucial role in maintaining your engine’s efficiency and the longer and the faster you drive, the bigger the stress on your engine and the higher likelihood of overheating.
3. Have a qualified technician check all hoses and belts for cracks, leaks and loose connections. Hoses should be firm, not soft or brittle. Belts wear out based upon mileage and each manufacture has different recommendations for belt replacement. Burlington Automotive can check your vehicle’s belts and hoses to make sure they are safe and ready for your trip.
4. Get your brakes checked. This is the most important safety feature on your vehicle and good brakes can mean the difference between being able to avoid an accident and not.
5. Clean your battery and have it checked by a professional to assure it has enough power to get you to and from your summer vacation destination. The summer heat can significantly cut down on the life of your battery.
We are here to help you travel safely on your Memorial Day weekend adventures Don’t hesitate to call us and schedule an appointment for a vehicle inspection today, we’d be happy to help!